Thursday, September 15, 2011

in search of a fall bag

earlier this summer...
the bag i loved at Gap lacked the pockets i needed. it wasn't going on sale. but at least some of my sundresses were red and would get along just fine with the (red) bag i'd been carrying all spring. then one day at Ross's...

the little brown leather Fossil bag was neutral, and had enough pockets despite the size. yet the Sak tote bag with adorable birds called my name as well. perhaps inspired by that 80's barbie whose work clothes transformed into something to wear to her 'date with dr. ken', i decided that the brown one would hold essentials and fit quite nicely in the bird bag, amongst all the other 'things'. when a smaller bag was needed, i could take the little one out of the big one, not not have the whole changing purse drama.

now these bags would be fine for fall. the bird bag is wounded, however. one of the straps is damaged, and a scrap from my ribbons-&-cords box is keeping it on my shoulder. the fabric store lacked the right trim to make new straps, yet had some wonderful vintage fabric for another project. and of course in my craftiness i feel the need to repair it myself as opposed to taking it to a shop for fixing. why deprive myself of a fun project?

but oh, the old call of back-to-school shopping is in the wind. the commercials, the fall fashion spilling out of magazines. living in a town where people actually wear the expensive things from the magazines. all of these elements swirl around in my head, creating a longing for an 'it' bag of my own...something unique, affordable, durable, and filled with pockets. and if it's older than me, even twice my age, that would be fabulous.

in the end, it's not really about the bag, but about the hunt. it need not be trendy, it need not be from a brand anyone's ever heard of. all it needs...pockets!

No comments:

Post a Comment